Thursday, October 24, 2013

Literature Analysis #3

Black Hawk Down
1. The book Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden is about the U.S. military action against a Somali warlord named Mohamed Farrah aided. This book is based on the accrual events that took place during the attempt to capture Mohamed's lieutenants.
2. Bowden chose to write about to write about this because it has a great story line and people need to know what soldiers go through and the sacrifices that they make.
3. i chose to read this book because I am interested in history and this story has a very interesting story. I had first found out about this book when I had watched the movie then I had later seen it at the library. Once I had started reading the story I could not stop because I wanted to find out what happened in the end and if there was any major differences between the book and the movie.
4. the book was very realistic but I could not make any connections between my life and this story because I have not been through anything like this.
 People
1. the authors choices to me say that he wanted to get the characters as close as he could to what the real people went through. I looked up the author and it said that he had watched aerial film of the raid and talked to multiple people from both sides before writing the book.
2. Major General William F. Garrison- the commander was an experienced solider that had helped with the phoenix operation that had targeted the Viet Cong.
Warrant officer Mike Durrant- was the pilot of one of the helicopters that was taking down and captured by the militia.
Matthew Eversmann- was placed in command of the ranger Chalk (paratroopers) after the previous commander had a seizure.
3. these people are interesting to write about because their actions directly affected many peoples lives for the better or worse and they changed some peoples lives forever.
Style
1. the author used more of a journalistic style and wrote the story as a novel.
2. the author does not use many lengthy descriptions instead he focuses more on the action that takes place. the affect of this is that it makes the story far more interesting and it makes the story more easily hooked into.
4. the authors attitude was that of trying to grasp the reasoning of why this had to happen and why there was so much death happening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment